An interview with Lee Zalben, Founder and President.
1) While peanut butter itself is usually gluten-free, the standard bread is not. Does the Peanut Butter & Co. Sandwich Shop in New York City offer gluten-free bread?
Gluten-free bread is currently offered as an option at the Peanut Butter & Co. Sandwich Shop. We have limited supplies daily so we suggest that customers making a special trip phone in advance to ensure it’s still available that day.
2) Peanut Butter & Co. offers assortments of peanut butter with Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free oats and pancake/waffle mix. Why is it important for Peanut Butter & Co. to offer a selection of designated gluten-free items?
We create delicious peanut butter flavors by using simple, quality ingredients, none of which contain gluten. Gluten-free certification provides our customers with an added layer of confidence that we’re mindful of their needs.
3) A classic lunch is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a glass of milk. With all the food allergies/intolerances that potential customers have—dairy, gluten, nuts—do you see Peanut Butter & Co. evolving to cater to different food allergies?
We’ve done our best to ensure that our peanut butter can be enjoyed by as many people as possible by producing products that are gluten free, dairy free, and soy free.
4) Why do you use only USA-grown peanuts in your peanut butter?
Sourcing peanuts locally is important to us; our peanuts are primarily grown within a 200-mile radius of our production facility. We’re proud to support America’s hard-working peanut farmers, and we also think that USA-grown peanuts are the best tasting peanuts in the world!
5) Your company appeals to both adults and children, selling specialty peanut butter as well as snack packets. Did you have an audience in mind when you first started the company? How has your overall vision changed since the company first opened its doors, and how do you see it evolving?
When I first opened the Peanut Butter & Co. Sandwich Shop in 1998, I imagined it’d become a mecca for peanut butter lovers of all ages and backgrounds, and it has! But little did I know that our peanut butter would soon be sold in supermarkets around the world. I’m proud of the growth we’ve achieved, and look forward to continue to offer delicious and innovative new peanut butter products in the future.
Learn more about Peanut Butter & Co. at ilovepeanutbutter.com.